Nico Rosberg says tyre situation ‘not acceptable’

nico rosberg

Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg says the tyre failures suffered by himself and Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel in Belgium were “not acceptable” and that the situation needs to be resolved before the Italian Grand Prix.

Rosberg suffered a high-speed failure approaching Blanchimont during Friday’s second practice session and, after lengthy investigations, concluded that an external cut caused the incident.

Vettel’s issue occured during the penultimate lap of Sunday’s Grand Prix, when the German driver endured a right-rear failure at Kemmel.

Vettel had been running a one-stop strategy and had completed 27 laps on his set of Prime tyres when he suffered the failure; Pirelli later issued a statement referring back to a proposal over stint lengths which was rejected by the sport in 2013.

“Vettel blowing up his tyre – it’s really not acceptable, for either of us, for me on Friday or for him,” Rosberg said in his post-race video blog.

“If it had happened a couple of metres earlier or later, we would have had huge shunts, one of the biggest ever, because the track is so fast.”

Rosberg believes that a solution needs to be found prior to the Italian Grand Prix and has suggested increased use of rear view cameras on Formula 1 cars.

“The next track is Monza, one of the fastest tracks of the year, so they have to think of something to try and improve that situation,” he said.

“For example, activating all the rear view cameras, the teams are watching that so they can see before a tyre explodes or something and give us warning, something like that.”

Source: http://www.gpupdate.net/

Leave a Reply